Monday, June 2, 2014

How or where can I find a person or company with the ability to copy a sculpture with a CNC (or other) machine?




customarti


I am wanting to reproduce a classic sculpture that I have, in a larger size. I believe that I have seen machines on TV that can accurately measure and reproduce a sculpture without an artist having to actually chiesel it. I just cannot afford thousands to have it hand carved, and I am not very particular about fine quality so long as it is reasonable. Can anyone direct me please?


Answer
there are 3D scanners and various rapid prototyping machines, ranging from printers to CNC machines. Though large scale printers are much rarer than large scale CNC.

If you google rapid prototyping services you'll find some companies. But it's most likely going to be much more expensive than looking if you can locate a larger version of your sculpture, particularly if yours is a popular one. A large run reproduction will always be cheaper than an unique custom fabricated item.

Can you recommend a guide and software for making 3D objects?




Tomas


My idea is to take photos of bones (scapula, femur...) from different angles, run them through a software which will somehow combine them and make a 3D object in space, that i can rotate and add annotation (tags?, description for different parts of bone)

I am not a programmer and i need something easy.

Do you have any ideas? :)



Answer
photos are 2d. you can get depth, but not 3d. you need a 3d scanner like a next engine 3d scanner they run $3000. the web site is pretty cool, it will show you how to scan and print. the printer in the web site is is a year old and now they have much better printers with more options on materials available.
for software you will need a program like Solidworks. it is #1 right now for 3d. it is what Pixiar animation use and many large companies. there are other programs, but after my research for myself most will not talk to the scanner. down side is cost and you need a pretty big system to run it.
then if you want you can send it to a 3d printer for a few dollars you will get a actual 3d sculpture. there are several 3d printers, but after looking at many the 'shapesways gallery' they can print in plastics, metal, ceramics.
this stuff is super cool. this should lead you in the right direction. these printers have only been available for public about a year, but they have been around since the 80s.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Title Post: How or where can I find a person or company with the ability to copy a sculpture with a CNC (or other) machine?
Rating: 100% based on 99998 ratings. 5 user reviews.
Author: Yukie

Thanks For Coming To My Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment