Thursday, December 19, 2013

Embarrassing question about tablets?

3d scanner youtube
 on EasyCut 3D Probe Scanner - YouTube
3d scanner youtube image



SCP


Okay, so I'm a retired person. I use my laptop for email, internet, banking, buying stuff, etc. - pretty basic. I have wireless access in my home. I know NOTHING of how a tablet works. I want to buy a tablet for a friend who's quite broke. I doubt if she has the income to afford the monthly access for connection to a computer. I know you can use the internet on smartphones. Can you use a tablet without having internet access? I know I sound like an idiot - I'm even embarrassed to go to Best Buy and ask in person. Any info would be appreciated.


Answer
There is nothing to be embarrassed about..

I have the 4 main tablet group or from the main 4 operating system OS:
an amazon kindle, an iPad from apple, a Samsung tablet that runs on Android OS and a Windows 8.1 Acer iconia tablet..

For your friend, I would recommend the Apple iPad as the first choice, an Android device as a second choice (cheaper price), tablet PC if you (or your friend) want a regular computer with regular functions (but it is also the most expensive) and Amazon Kindle as the last choice..

And they all do not have to be connected to the internet in order for them to work..
But you need the internet connection to gain access to the 'App store', should you wish to install new apps (software) or get the latest updates..
And of course, you'd need the internet access if you try to access internet-based app like internet browser, the Facebook app or the Youtube app..

Also many of those free apps (freeware) that you download from the app store require internet connection in order for them to work (because the freeware is paid by you watching their ads), which is something that is more common in Android apps than others..
Many of those free apps (games mostly) are rendered useless without internet connection..

My number one tablet is still the windows 8.1 tablet PC..
I love it because it runs my windows tablet just like my desktop computer..
Unfortunately, windows tablets require a lot of patience and a lot of know how.. things that my mom lack and make her frustrated with computers.. and they are the most pricy among all tablets I have (it ranges between 500 to 1200 US dollars depending on the make and the model of the tablet PC)

I can ran those familiar software to me like PowerPoint and Microsoft Word, even CorelDraw and PhotoShop from my Acer tablet..
but it doesn't have to be Acer, the choice of the tablet make (or brand) depends on the availability and the support nearby (around my house, I can see Toshiba and Acer repair shop almost everywhere)..

IPad comes second, the iPad has more collection of mature apps (not baby apps seen in kindle and most android apps) that really stands out..
in particular the iMovie and movie effects, like 'action movie'..

It is actually my mom's favorite.. she loves that thing and she's on it all the time..

IPad belong to a group of devices called iOS devices, like iPod, iphone and iPad.. and the iPad has many models according to how old is it: iPad 1, iPad 2, iPad 3 (but has the official name 'the iPad'), and iPad mini.. .. .. and I believe that the latest tablet is called 'iPad Air'..
iOS devices have far more accessories than Android devices.. and I am not talking about bags, chargers or protective covers only..
I am talking about, remote controlled helicopters, remote control cars and robotic arms, 3D scanners, Stereo systems etc..

IPad, iPhones and iOS devices are generally associated with quality and slightly higher cost.. but still i prefer them over the Android devices at any given day..

Android devices biggest advantage is the price, they are cheaper than iPad.. and many apps (software) in the Android app store are free..
The leading android tablets are from Samsung's Galaxy class.. and you can go as cheap as 40 US dollars tablets from Huawei and other cheap Chinese tablets (but I highly do not recommend you to buy any of those cheap stuff, and aim for Samsung products)..

iOS and Androids share a number of similar apps (not all).. i.e. you can get some of those apps in iPad's (Apple app store), but they are usually free on Android app store which is always popular with kids (sometimes the catch is to see ads and links to buy things whenever you play those games)..

My mom uses Samsung Galaxy Note 2 that uses Android OS, and she hates it very much..
she hates of having too much controls in the menu, and how the buttons jump from one area of the screen to another (when she presses OK and confirm her choice).. but most of all, she feels cheated when she gets too much ads on her free apps, and some of those apps stop working when you are away from WiFi..

Amazon Kindle (I believe that I have the old 5th generation), is in a class on its own..it is the cheapest and the easiest tablet to own and have.. but it is mainly meant for reading books and magazines..
But you really can not do much of it..
Frankly I bought that thing because I thought that I would pick up the hobby of book reading, you know expanding myself.. but I really do not know what to do with it, except it is a fancy paper weight..

to recap.. I would recommend an iPad generally, Android tablets are generally cheaper, tablet PC are most expensive but has more familiar computer function, and finally the Kindle is not a big thing, yet..
all the best..

Will the Body Scanners at airports make us safer?




John


As a MRI Technologist with 15 years experience in diagnostic imaging, I can assure you beyond a reasonable doubt that the "body scan" machines will be virtually useless in detecting explosives.

Let me explain why. The macines use radio frequency "millimeter waves" to detect what's hiding under your clothing. It is very similar to radar in that it bounces a pulse of rf at a 3d target and then a computer compiles the data into a 3d image that you can "see". The reason it won't work is because it only does a surface rendering of the object. Thus, if a pliable explosive were used and molded to the body or placed in a skin fold the scanner would never see it. Theoretically, you could smuggle literally POUNDS of high explosives through one of these gadgets without notice. What "will" work? Xrays in the form of a tomographic scanner. But that's not going to happen because of the radiation dose and the cost. So, who benefits from body scanners? ahem..... General Electric and their ilk.

Take it or leave it. That's the stone cold truth boys and girls.

Source(s):
http://www.tsa.gov/blog/2008/05/which-is-it-millimeter-wave-or.html
Truthseeker, I'll have to disagree with you on two points. First, backscatter machines like millimeter waves only offer a surface rendering. If you want to have contrast of density then you must use higer doses. Secondly, the dose in minute? How minute? How much exactly is "safe"? Perhaps you should google the Linear Non-Threshold Dose response relationship involving xrays. There is no "safe" dose.



Answer
Uh, no. But the manufactures will get rich. The jokes will fly at the scanning stations & watch for a lot of embarassing Youtubes.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Title Post: Embarrassing question about tablets?
Rating: 100% based on 99998 ratings. 5 user reviews.
Author: Yukie

Thanks For Coming To My Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment