Friday, November 8, 2013

POLL: Apple MacBook Pro or Dell XPS 15" for college?

3d scanner low cost
 on DAVID is a freeware software that allows you to scan/digitize three ...
3d scanner low cost image



AUDI RS4 R


I am in need of a Laptop but don't know which one to consider.

XPS 15 has amazing hardrive specs, I've been a windows person throughout my life. Dell desktops have proven to me in terms of reliability. Windows XP is overall the best windows I've used.

Macbook pro, I just started using, so I know nothing about macs. I have an iphone and a ipod thats all apple products I know about.


As far as I can tell, Mac is expensive, why pay for high price when dell is offering better components?


Which is the right computer for college? (engineering)
I like the fact that no malware for mac, I feel like switching, its not safe if you have windows, especially with the internet. You never know what can go wrong.



Answer
First thing I saw the Dell is like a frigging brick, look how THICK the thing is.

Yep, 1" for the MacBook Pro and 1.5" at the back end for the Dell


The MacBook Pro has a 15.4 screen with 1440 by 900 res. Glossy or Anti-glare (a must in classes)

The Dell XPS (high end) has a 15.6 1920 x 1080 screen, a bit better, but no anti-glare option.


MacBook Pro - thin stylish aluminum case

Dell - thick plastic case


MacBook Pro - safe and secure OS X, no malware, no bloatware, no Stockholm Syndrome (can dual boot Windows for those must have programs, keep off the internet for safety) Note: No performance loss as it's a direct boot, not virtual machine (Windows in OS X), which is also a option. No malware scans, no defrag, no cleanup. One System Update takes care of everything.

Dell - Windows hell, PC Vendor installed bloatware, trialware, malware issues etc. (can't run OS X) Malware scans, multiple Windows update options, "Bing Bar" and other toolbar hell. Defrag needed twice a month. Annoying popup balloons. UAC etc...


MacBook Pro Intel Core i7-2630QM @ 2.00GHzscore 6,338 (apx 2x faster) Holy Cow!!

Dell Intel Core i7-2620M @ 2.70GHzscore 3,285


http://www.cpubenchmark.net/high_end_cpus.html


Dell $1300

MacBook Pro $1800


Obviously the processor needs to be bumped up quite a bit on the Dell to match the MacBook Pro.

Next the Dell has to run anti-virus, so that caps down performance. The Mac doesn't need it running, but it's good to clean the Windows filth with a free ClamXav scanner once in a blue moon. :)

Just to let you know, I use Windows, OS X and Linux.

Windows 7 is a pig slow OS like Vista is (just a slightly smaller pig) the blue ring of death always circles on just about anything, even on fast machines it seems.

7 year old MacBook Pro Intel Core 2 Duo (scores 2,308 BTW) , never see a spinning beach ball. Very rare occurrence.


I could spend a bit more time and get the specs to match, but I already see where it's going. The Dell is going to cost either about the same as the MacBook Pro, or more.

Even if it's like what I got, the $500 savings is not worth the cobbled together parts of the Dell and using Windows.

Although the BlueRay DVD read is nice option, I'd rather watch movies on my 60" HDTV and place the wear and tear on a $300 player than a $2000 MacBook Pro or Dell. (I'm on my second BluRay already)

My last 15" MacBook Pro has lasted 7 years, it's still going as a backup machine/remote controlled music server. It's easily got another 3 more years on it's Intel Core 2 Duo. Works out to only $280 a year in computer costs. I don't think the Dell can hold out that long with their less quality parts.

I see Dell's XPS low ball ways, but to bring the machine up to a MacBook Pro specs is going to cost a great deal more money. If one is spending that kind of money, might as well get a Mac and run Windows optionally.

If you saw my new 17" MacBook Pro Quad, what this MONSTER can do, running a highly detailed 3D screensaver as a desktop, running Windows 7 Pro AND Linux Mint AND playing iTunes music and visuals with not a hiccup. You'd be quite shocked. here's the screensaver.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4vxMXHu6F8&feature=player_embedded#at=34

But if you don't need to run anything complex for your engineering class, then the low end XPS is just fine. The $1300 XPS is a rip off with a 6 year old processor in it. BAD DELL!!




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Title Post: POLL: Apple MacBook Pro or Dell XPS 15" for college?
Rating: 100% based on 99998 ratings. 5 user reviews.
Author: Yukie

Thanks For Coming To My Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment